Dec 4, 2007

One more reason not to reproduce: being a single parent

Well, Hank has been on a very mild steroid to help him heal from this mangled up paw pad that we noticed over Thanksgiving. I finally went to the Vet on Friday, and she gave him a mild steroid, to help him recover from it. She said that Hank would need to drink more water and would then pee more often (I think you can see where this is going...)

Both Saturday AND Sunday Hank peed on the carpet. We knew he was going to pee more, but man alive, he hasn't been giving the regular signs, he just up and lifts his legs. So, yesterday our house cleaner was here, and I pulled out the urine stain spray stuff for her, just in case. I got home and NO ACCIDENTS! Yay! Today...

I left at 6:45 this morning, Hank peed about 6:15 when Jeremiah walked him this morning, I got home at 4:30, so 10 hours later, which is about his limit and what we usually do and he's OK with NO ACCIDENTS!

Today...I get home. PEE everywhere on the tile downstairs. Which, I really take as a good sign that he now pees by the door where he knows he should be to go outside, and it's MUCH easier than the carpet. We took a quick walk to make sure he got it all out of his system. We come back in, and THEN I walk up the stairs...and there's PEE ON THE STEPS! Then we come up stairs, and the pee stops, BUT then it starts again, because he pulled the sheet off of the red chair and peed on it.

So, I sprayed the urine stuff on everything, and took Hank on a nice long walk to get everything out of his system. He peed a bunch, hooray!

THEN, (yeah, when does this day end!!!) We had to go to the vet to get a booster shot so that he can go to the Pets Hotel on Thursday, hooray! We get to the vet, and get Hank up on the scale (85 lbs hooray!) and then into the exam room. He is starting to not like the exam rooms which is frustrating. I can't wait till we take some training classes and Hank gets better at paying attention. The nurse comes in and pokes and prods and he's fine. THEN, the doctor comes in and he's doing OK, but she has to give him 2 shots. The first one went fine. The second one did NOT! He BARKED! Hank never barks, it's the beauty of our dog! He doesn't bark unless we provoke him. So, that was weird. And the vet said that the chattering teeth was a nervous sign. And I know he's been doing that since he's been hopped up on the steroids, and I mentioned that to her. I think it's more of a "I have to pee please" sign, instead of the whimpering he often does. So, now I know that it's one more sign to pay attention to.

Poor Hank, we finally got him finished at the vet. Since I had the paperwork I decided to walk him over to the Pets Hotel and give them the paperwork so I don't have to worry about remembering it on Thursday. We turn to leave, and get about half way to the front door, when Hank lifts his leg and pees all over Christmas chew-toys...

I spend the next minute wiping up his mess and then we're on our way home! We took a quick walk, and since he's JUST emptied his bladder, he was fine...after a big drink of water, his 'roids and some dinner, he's passed out on the floor while I watch TV.

Jeremiah's at the airport, drinking beer with his friends and waiting for his delayed flight while I clean up dog pee all night. At least it's only 24 hour trip for him. I can't WAIT till Hank's 48 hours are up and he can start going to Doggy Day camp, HOORAY!!!

No comments: