Jan 26, 2008

Hank's Daily Adventure

Hank's had a pretty tough week. He hasn't been eating well, he threw up his can of dog food, and he's been pretty mellow. He was at day camp on Wednesday and Thursday because we both had busy days, and the report card came back saying he was pretty low-key wanted to snuggle and lay low. So, by Thursday when he still wasn't eating much, we decided to get him to the vet. We haven't been thrilled with ours, but a friend of mine in town loves hers, so I got the contact info and called on Friday afternoon. They were able to get us in, and now he's on an antibiotic and they sent us home with a stool sample kit. We aren't sure who will draw the sort straw, but they need it within 12 hours, and he hasn't pooped yet today. Oh boy!

We also learned that Hank now weighs 89.3 pounds! This is GREAT! The Humane Society told us he needs to gain 10 pounds and get up to 90, so we're just about there! We cut back to 2 cups twice a day instead of 3 cups twice a day, which got him up to his weight. Hooray! Now we just have to keep up on the exercise to make sure he maintains his weight.

But, today's adventure included Jeremiah going to work at 7, so he took Hank out before he left, gave him his medication and breakfast, then back to bed with me. WE got up about 9:30, and read the paper and enjoyed a relaxing morning. We took a walk in hopes that he might poop so we could run it over to the vet, but no such luck, he's stopped up.

After our walk, I needed to run a couple of errands. Hank KNEW I was about to leave and wanted to go with. He's always very good when we tell him to STAY, he backs off of the garage door. But today, he ran out into the garage. So, I stuck him in the car. I had to go to the liquor store for a gift, and then to the grocery store for a few things. Hank did GREAT! You may remember the story of DAY 2 when we had Hank, and I came back from 5 minutes in the store and my emergency flashers were going and hair was everywhere.

Well, now we're use to the hair (he gets a bath tomorrow, HOORAY!) and he was standing on the back seat checking out the cars and people, but no barking which is GREAT! Oh yeah, another new activity Hank has begun. Hank discovered that the cup holder between the front seats comes down, and he sort of fits. The other morning, I put it down so he could move a little closer to me, and he pushed right through, and DOG actually was my co-pilot on the way to Doggy Day camp. It was pretty funny, he was excited to see what all was going on. Today, on our way home from the grocery store, he wanted to come closer to me, so I put the thing down, and he came up, and tried to climb on my lap (we were still in the parking lot in park at this point). He ended up trying to figure out what worked for him, and finally laid down with his feet and nose under my legs, not the safest, but it's about 10 blocks home, so I wasn't too worried.

Anyway, it's good to know he'll be OK in the car for a few minutes while we run errands. I knew he liked getting in the car, but have been apprehensive to leave him anywhere but at home since those first few days. Hopefully he'll poop here soon. He did poop for me last night on our walk which is good, but we need him to be on a more regular schedule, and by "regular" I mean, when Jeremiah's walking him...

No comments: