Jan 21, 2008

Here comes the airplane...

There are a variety of reasons I don't want kids, and a variety of reasons why Hank is such a GREAT addition to the family. Waking us up at 1:30, not awesome, BUT, no 1:30 AM feedings or diaper changes, just a quick snap of the finger and he was back on the floor.

Also, I had 2 glasses of wine tonight. You can't do that when you're pregnant or breast feeding. Suckers. AND, a new study came out today about caffeine and pregnancy. Like I needed another reason to just be the worlds greatest aunt.

So, this morning Jeremiah filled up Hank's food dish with Costco's finest dry food. Hank usually likes it, but the past few days hasn't been eating as much. We do know that he likes to have us around when he eats (so the food is in the kitchen) and he needs to work up an appetite, so we like to throw the ball around for him, which helps sometimes. This morning I threw the ball around for him, and he ate about 1/3 of the bowl.

Tonight, I got home from work and he hadn't eaten any more, which wasn't a huge surprise. We took our evening walk, and then came back to play with his favorite ball, since it was SO FREAKIN COLD OUTSIDE! We played, and he ate some, but still left about 1/3 cup left. So, of the 6 cups we usually feed him in a day, he ate 2.

I was beginning to get worried, he would go sniff the food bowl but wouldn't eat it. So, I went down to the garage and grabbed a can of canned food that we got from a dog food store with a free coupon when we adopted him. (ie, free food to test run). We had tried a can of dog food when we first got Hank and he didn't like it. Tonight, I stuck this in a Tupperware dish and he ate the WHOLE thing!

So, I"m not sure how things will progress. I'm hoping that we can just give him the canned food on occasion, and that he'll be OK. It'd be an expensive habit to start up. BUT, if he needs a change of diet, I guess we'll have to figure it out. We also got a bag of raw dog food. But something about raw meat being fed to Hank just doesn't sit well with me.

Maybe he just misses Jeremiah. He just got home from work (yup, it's 9:30) and Hank ate it all while Jeremiah stood by him. Maybe he just misses his dad and I'm not good enough for him. Where do I send the therapy bills for that?

No comments: